Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Good News...

If anyone ever still checks my blog, you will know I have been largely inactive for a while. There are many reasons for that, mostly bad. Regardless, there is some good news, and a little hope that I will be more attentive to my postings in the near future. I received news that I was accepted to the DMin program at Trinity [Episcopal] School for Ministry. I will begin taking courses in January which means I will have to begin my reading very soon. Hopefully, each week I will reflect a little on some issue raised in the reading that might be of help to discuss here.

Just a little about this next step. TSM is "an evangelical seminary in the Anglican tradition." They are a very eclectic bunch, all united by both their evangelicalism and their worship. But within that group there are a great diversity of perspectives. In addition to professors from the Anglican side, there are also a couple Presbyterians and even one with Nazarene roots. Some are charismatic and some are catholic. Many are in between. Some are more of a Calvinist slant, while others are of an Aminian slant, with even a Wesleyan or two sprinkled in. It truly is a diverse group built around a common commitment to Scripture and Liturgy.

It is located in Ambridge, PA which is much like many of the "rust belt towns." It is a hard working, blue collar community whose plight is directly related to the steel industry. It is about 45 minutes from home, so I will be able to commute during my on-campus times in January and June. It will take me 3-4 years to do the course work and then some time for the dissertation/project.

My concentration will lie at the intersection of two areas I have always wanted to study more: evangelism and spiritual formation. I will be studying both, focusing on spiritual direction, to see if there is anything that can be applied from that discipline to equip congregants to transform everyday conversations into evangelistic conversations. I fully expect that my studies will enhance my ministry in the areas of evangelism and spiritual direction AND equip my people to better understand and practice evangelism.

I covet your prayers as I begin this next step, and am looking forward to walking this leg of the journey together with you.

EF+

3 Comments:

Anonymous Todd Stepp said...

Looking forward to your posts

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! You like me are a student at heart. What fun and hard work is ahead of you. I look forward to your posts.

Wanda

10:12 AM  
Anonymous ryan said...

Wow, great news. Your mind was created for this next step. Looking forward to keeping up with you.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home