Wednesday, November 22, 2006

RIVERSIDE REFLECTIONS: what i'm thankful for


Ah, I just got finished cleaning the house, doing laundry, and cooking a turkey. The yearly ritual has begun. Cookie dough, pumpkin pie, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey...all the ingredients necessary for a weekend binge resulting in too much food, too much napping, and too much weight gain. Before I become too distracted by the pure sinfulness of my gluttony, I should at least attempt a valient rationalization. It might not make my behavior right, but at least I will feel better about it.

So why all this frivolity? It is Thanksgiving! Which means I am obliged to tell you what I'm thankful for. I thought I'd get it out of the way now because we all know that the party can start once the thanks have been said. Man law? Man law! This year, I am thankful for - drumroll please - FICTION! Now ordinarily I would have given the standards: family, wife, dog, health, world peace, etc., but this year I have made a great new friend. My new friend is fiction. Not fictional, but fiction. You know, the genre.

Fiction is new to me. My analytical mind usually prefers history, or theology. There is nothing better than a little philosophy or ethics to get my mind working overtime. But here recently my mind has been working plenty hard, and I wanted a friend to help me get away. A friend that would disenage my mind and engage my imagination and my emotions. There is nothing better than good fiction to free the mind and to help me wade through weekly sermon writing.

So here's to fiction, man's best friend - well...right after his dog anyway - and to you Little Pete, Camerlengo, Buckbeak and the many great friends I've met. May this year be one full of space adventures, time travels, mystery monsters, and sinister plots...all in the safety of my EZ chair. Well there you have it. I have said my two cents ... now pass the gravy!

PS If any of you want to refer me to some good fiction I'd be abliged. I just finished the Harry Potter series my youth group got me reading, so I am look for something to fill Harry's place. If you have some favorites, please pass them along.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Jannette Oake and Beverly Lewis, but I'm not exactly sure those are up your alley. Your Dad likes Frank Peretti and B/B Thoene...I don't know if you would. I was just advised that Flags of Our Father, is not fiction, but is a good book. We do have some books by the above named authors,so if you want to try any of them let us know...I am thankful for God's Love,Mercy and Grace and for FAMILY......Love Mom and Dad

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walker Percy and Wedell Berry on the literature side of fiction; Carl Hiaasen and Brian Wiprud on the crime/mystery side of fiction; Jack Williamson, Frederick Pohl, and Robert Heinlein on the science fiction side of fiction. The Harry Potter stuff is great isn't it!? So much better than I thought it would be.

8:58 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

I just wish she'd hurry up with the last one...can't wait to see what she does with it!

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bet Harry dies. It is supposed to be released 7/7/07

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home