Thursday, January 05, 2012

And Jesus Looked Upward and Said...

Psalm 2, Psalm 110:1-7
Jonah 2.2-9 + Ephesians 6.10-20 + John 11.17-27, 38-44

Next week I will begin my second year of coursework in the DMin program at Trinity School for Ministry. It is a fascinating place to study with others who are Evangelicals like myself, but who are also shaped by the Anglican tradition like I have been in the last few years. Many people ask me why I chose to study at an Anglican seminary, and the answer is very simple: Prayer is at the center of their community.

I was born and raised and now pastor in the Church of the Nazarene. I was educated in the Church of the Nazarene, first at Mount Vernon Nazarene University then at Nazarene Theological Seminary. In both of those places we had the opportunity to attend chapel on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Those chapel services were very formative and I am glad that I had the opportunity to attend. But looking back, something was missing. At Trinity every day begins AND ends with the community gathering together to pray. Prayer is the center of their community.

Prayer is at the heart of today's readings as well. Jesus' miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead was accomplished through prayer. Jonah's release from the belly of the fish was accomplished through prayer. The Ephesians text is famous for its image of "the full armor of God" but sometimes we are so fascinated by the armor imagery that we miss the real point which comes immediately after the description of the armor:

"Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere in supplication for all the saints. Pray also for me..."

The armor is great, but the power is in the prayer. We have been taught, I think, that prayer needs to be a regular part of our daily lives, but I wonder how much we think about praying as a church? How much time do you spend praying with someone else? In a small group? As the body of Christ? Let us resolve this year that prayer will be not only the center of our personal lives, but also the center of our Church life as well.

Ever-present God, who never sleeps nor slumbers but is always attentive to the cry of your people, may your Holy Spirit stir up within us a heart of prayer that will center us in your will, both as individuals, in our small groups, and as a Church. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a year since you last posted. A year of many changes for us all.

The closing prayer in this posting immediately brought to mind my favorite Psalm #121.

God Bless your family in the coming year.

Wanda

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home