Wednesday, November 29, 2006

THE LEGEND OF PEARLY WHITE


“I sure am glad I bought this new safety harness,” I thought to myself as I dangled 10 feet up a tree. It was opening morning of Ohio’s gun portion of deer season, and I should have known how the day would end by the way it began.

I made my way to the tree where I hung my tree-stand just two days before, hoping I could find my way through the pitch black of the predawn hours. I found the tree with no problems. I hopped up onto my climbing tree stand and began to shimmy up the tree. The next thing I knew, my feet slipped out of the bottom half of my stand as it tumbled back down the tree, coming to rest just a couple feet out of the reach of my desperately stretching toes.

I looked down and realized I was hanging ten feet off the ground, with half of a tree stand and not strapped into my tree. I couldn’t reach my stand and I was too high to jump. How would I get out of this mess? Arms burning, I pulled myself up onto the upper half of my stand and balanced myself in the web seat. I strapped into my new full body safety harness and lowered myself as far as the crotch squeezing straps would allow. My foot finally found its target. I finished my ascent, settled in and breathed a little easier – until about six hours later.

As the sun began its downward journey, Wayne and I decided to hunt the wood lines in hopes that the deer would be moving back out into the fields. He went one way and I went the other. A barrage of gunfire rang out. I quickly hunkered in the tall grass as a large herd of does and a couple small bucks crossed the power line clearing and back into the woods. As I started to get up, another deer caught my eye. A nice 8-point.

The woods were only about 500 yards wide before the next clearing. If I could get to the clearing first, I might get a shot. I made my way through the woods and nestled down beside a lone oak on the hillside. I watched, as just a couple minutes later, part of the herd came out and walked by. It would be a long shot, but makeable. I waited. After the does cleared, my buck came out. He took a different patch. I watched in my binoculars, but I had to let him go.

There was an hour and a half of daylight left, and I knew I was in a high-traffic area. A large rosebush rose above the grass and would get me within 50 yards of any other deer that came out of the woods, so I moved. I sat there watching the woods. As time passed I began to be really pleased with myself. It was the first time I’d really hunted. Usually I waited for deer to come to me. This time I took the hunt to the deer. Even if I saw nothing else, it was a great day.

As I sat there gloating, I was startled by rustling in the grass. I turned and looked. It was the biggest buck I’ve ever seen. His rack was at least 12 points. Very high…very wide…and very white – like two teeth growing out the top of his head. He was standing less than 50 yards away, pawing at the ground and bucking as if putting on a show for me. It stopped. As he turned and looked to his left, I raised my gun. I clicked on my red-dot and clicked off my safety. I tried to sit still, but I was shaking too badly. He turned again and looked right through me. He started walking straight at me. All I could see was a narrow chest, thick neck, small head, and giant pearly white antlers. I sat there trying to breath deep, but he was coming right at me. At twenty yards, I decided he was close enough. I squeezed the trigger. He jumped four feet in the air. I pumped another shot as he ran off to be hunted another day.

I looked for blood or hair like a small kid foolishly thinks he’ll really find the pirate’s treasure. I slung my shotgun over my shoulder and walked back to tell Wayne I’d missed the buck of my lifetime. He tried to reassure me, but the only reassurance I found was knowing that one wiser and more experienced than myself came out on top. He will be there another day, and so will I.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? A whole day without a comment on this??? I thought for sure someone would have something to say after picturing you dangling from a harness 20 feet in the air. I thought we taught you better than this!

Seriously, I'm thinking you should get a job with the local paper or with Field and Stream. You could replace the guy who writes the stories at the end of each issue.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an eventful day. How long were you stuck up there? How could you must a deer tht big? I bet you were kicking yourself after that. At church were getting ready for the hanging of the greens. DJ and I, during the snow day off, were out Pastor's house helping Mr. Joe work on Lisa's car. Or maybe it was more me watching DJ and Joe work on the car. I was scared I would mess it up.
The roads are safter now that I got my license over Thanksgiving break. I passed the test with an 80. I got a car too. I recieved it in Oct., so now I can finally drive by myself.
What are the odds USC beats OSU . Not to jinx anything, but I'm thinking pretty good. 3 to 1 or so. No matter how you look at it, if they go there, it will make them probably the best NCAA football dynasty in history. Pete Carrol can recruit and coach. Mu didn't quite make it, but they finally beat KU, 42-17. MU bball isn't doing that bad; 7-0 and just destroyed Arkansas. OSU will be good when Greg Oden heals.

Hey, guess who was at the first Ray- South b-ball game? Rick Pitino. Andy and I were in awe. Only coach ever to send 3 teams to the final four was sitting directly across from us. He was there to see George Goode, that 6'9 foward. South won 78-49. After Goode had six blocks, 16 points, and led the team in asists, we(reporters) asked him how he thought he did; he said horrible. Anyways, I'll talk to you later.

10:25 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

I went out again this morning and saw nothing. Wayne said he saw the deer last night. They are not moving at all, and not too many people were hunting today. I'm going to try and get permission to bow hunt out there. I know the trails he seems to use, so hopefully I'll get another shot.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Great story Eric! I mean it.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home