Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Week of Hope…stream of consciousness ramblings from the first week of advent


In case you hadn’t noticed, Thanksgiving has passed. Which means of course that Christmas is here. Well, that’s what secular culture and most evangelicals tell us. However, Christmas Day is not until the 25th. True, Christmas is a season, not just a day, but it is the season initiated on the 25th and lasting for 12 days. From December 25 until January 6, we celebrate the birth of Christ.

The coming of Christ certainly means that there is much preparation to be made. And that is where Advent comes in. For the four weeks leading up to Christmas, we celebrate Advent. As a child I had no notion of Advent. I knew that we couldn’t prepare for Christmas until December 3rd (because Adam’s birthday is December 2nd). I also knew that Christmas was coming because hanging on the back of the front door was a long strip of red felt with many pieces of candy tied carefully by small lengths of green yarn. Each day we got to have a piece of candy. On Christmas morning, we ate our final Tootsie Roll and knew that Christ had come. I didn’t realize it, but we were celebrating Advent.

Perhaps our children have a much better grasp on Advent than we do. They just can’t wait for Christmas. On Christmas Eve, they can’t sleep. We all remember waking Mom and Dad at some obscene hour on Christmas morning, and all of us without children have vowed to ourselves to lay down the law and lock our kids into their rooms that one night each year so we can get some sleep.

So how do we celebrate Advent? It is a question I struggle to answer. One easy criticism is that we sing Christmas songs way too early. We never sing “Up from the grave He arose” until Sunrise Service. To do otherwise would offend our sensibilities. But it is quite OK to sing “Joy to the world the Lord is come” before Christmas? Perhaps part of the problem is that for the 12 days of Christmas (including 2 Sundays) there are 28 songs in the hymnal, but for the four weeks of Advent (including 4 Sundays) there are only 5. How do you all differentiate between Advent and Christmas in your churches?

Another difficulty is that we think the Holy Days are a time to spend less time at church rather than more. For the first time in recent years (since I am now a pastor), I understand that feeling. However, I despise the fact that I would rather not have a Christmas morning service. What kind of Christian am I? I wake to the church bells starting morning Mass at the Catholic church next door every morning at 7:30am. The other RCC in town has a Mass every morning at 6:30am. And we complain about too much church at Christmas time? Last year there was a huge debate about whether churches would have worship on Christmas day because it was a Sunday. This year I have actually heard people debating whether or not they should cancel Christmas Eve service. In one breath church leaders discuss canceling a Christmas Eve service so people can stay home, and in the next breath they complain about Christmas being taken over by corporate greed. It was not taken over – it was given over!

But Advent is a season for hope. Despite our inadequacies. Despite our faults. Despite our failures. No matter how badly we botch our preparations, Christ still comes. He came that Holy Night in Bethlehem and he comes daily to be born anew in us every day. Our hope is Christ. And nothing we can do, or fail to do, can keep him from coming to us. And so we pray: Come, Lord Jesus, come!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I seem to remember that the long pieces of felt on the door were green with red yarn but I guess that doesn't change the point any now does it.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine introduced me to Advent when Daniel was young. She helped me make an advent wreath. I bought advent devotionals and Daniel & I would light the candles each night to do with the devotional. I really enjoy the advent season, but like you, society in general doesn't live it. My favorite hymn is O Come, O Come Emanuel. My church has not sung it yet. Don't know if they will. We do have songs to help us prepare, but as you pointed out, we do the songs that fit Christmas and after. Two years ago, I did a children sermon series on advent. I hoped it would help us keep focused on the true meaning of the season. A lot of protestant churches don't have an advent wreath and don't do sermons etc to lead up to christmas. I agree with you that we have given over Christmas and we may also be giving away our faith.

I pray this will be a special season for you and Antonina in your new home. You can make this a special season for your family & church family.

9:36 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

OK Adam, I stand corrected. Now that I think about it they were green with red yarn.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like advent so far. Do you know of any song called "I Can Hear the Christmas or Jingle Bells" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. The same guy who wrote "the Midnight ride of Paul Revere." I like the Hymn alot. It doesen't juist reapeat many of the, although true, repeitive sayings. It tells a story. A good one. Just wondering if you knew it.

4:43 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

No, I don't think I'm familiar with it. I'll look it up.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the bells on Christmas Day,
Their old familiar carols play.
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of 'peace on earth, good will to men.'
I thought how as that day had come
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th' unbroken song
Of 'peace on earth, good will to men.'
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of 'peace on earth, good will to men.' "
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.
Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try this link:

http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/AmericaSupportsYou/america/music/TrueHeart_%20IHeardTheBells.mp3

2:05 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

thanks, I am familiar with that, but I knew it by a different title. It is a great hymn.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home