Wednesday, May 30, 2007

On the Eve of Holy Orders

It is the now the Eve of my ordination. I must confess that I am no closer to understanding this mystery of faith than I was a few weeks ago. I really appreciate all the help and dialogue you all have contributed either here or elsewhere. So tonight, rather than getting bogged down in the theological quagmire of sacramental life and mysteries I want to spend a few moments sharing my reflections on the occasion of my ordination...The Feast of the Visitation.

The event is related in Luke 1:39-57 and is celebrated each year on the 31st of May. As the story goes, Mary fled her home to visit her cousin Elizabeth. The moment their eyes met, Elizabeth (and even John within her) recognized that they were in the presence of Christ. Much of tradition focuses on the effect of this encounter on the yet unborn John, who would be the Baptizer. Since it happens, however, that I will be ordained on this Holy-day, I want to reflect the story in a bit of a different light.

Mary was presently bearing Christ to the world. When she came into Elizabeth's presence, Elizabeth's unborn Baby jumped for joy because they were in the presence of Christ. Though they could not see the person of the Christ, they saw his divine presence as Mary bore him in their midst. I don't really understand this thing we call ordination. Perhaps that is why it is often understood in the category of Holy Mysteries.

My prayer as I approach ordination is simple. May Christ be born in me this day. May the world see in me not Eric but Christ. May I be a faithful witness of the Christ who grows in me. And may God truly and really mediate His grace through me that the world might recognize Him and leap for joy. To the glory of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

eef
Comfort Inn - room 120, Canton, OH
The Visitation of Mary, Anno Domini 2007

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your prayer is one God will certainly answer. You, like Daniel, are not in to ceremony. I pray that today will be special for you and you will find some answers. But if you don't, just know God is with you and He will help you do His work.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it all went well for you. Your in my prayers.

P.S Could you Ohio people share some of your sports luck with Missouri next year?

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember, we do not have to understand it ALL. We are just called to be obedient. You prayer that others see Christ rather than "Eric" is what each of our prayers and desires should be.
You are in our prayers and we pray that you will know and be what God desires you to be....as has our prayer been since you were born

We Love You!
Dad and Mom

8:52 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks for your humility.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home