Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Which of these things?



An old Sesame Street song, I think, goes like this:

Which of these things is not like the others, which of these things does not belong...

You try and see what you can come up with. Here is the list:

Sunday - Palm Sunday
Monday - Ministerial Credentials Meeting
Wednesday - No services due to Holy Week observance
Thursday - Passover Seder
Friday - Good Friday Service
Saturday - Prayer vigil with Baptismal Candidates
Sunday - Sunrise Baptisms, Breakfast, Easter Celebration


Now which of these does not belong?

This is my schedule next week!


I really should be working on sermons and Wednesday night lessons, but I am so annoyed I just can't. Here I thought we were a Church. Here I thought we were Christian. Yet I realized today that our "church" has put credentials meetings in the middle of Holy Week! I have very significant preparations to make for each of the services listed above. Not to mention driving to somewhere to get a portable baptistry, set it up etc. I will have 3 sermons to write instead of 1, and I still have to take time to spend all day Monday in meetings!

My frustration was only compounded when I was venting to a friend and he told me that M7 caused him to be away from his church on Ash Wednesday. Does is not ever dawn on anyone that Christian holydays are significant? Does it not ever dawn on anyone that Christian holydays are important? Would we dare schedule meetings on the 4th of July weekend, or Memorial Day weekend, or Thanksgiving weekend. No way...and those are in no way significant Christian days.

I thought about moving Easter so it could be more conviently placed, but something about that doesn't seem right. Perhaps next year, the people who put together the Christian calendar should check with the Church of the Nazarene so they don't conflict with our meetings.

My head is going to self destruct in 10...9...8...7...

OK...I'm done now!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and it's your birthday this week. Blame your parents for getting that one wrong too :-)

Don't you have connections now in KC where you can ring some bells?!

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ryan for your "help"! Our church has a missions service with DSA and Memorial Roll on Memorial Day Weekend this year :-)....

Maybe you are where you are so you can make a difference. I do believe in the past the Protestant churches did not celebrate the Holy days and so now we are seeing a new trend where younger people in the protestant churches are recognizing the importance/value of these days...It will take a while to get the majority of people on board. Love Mom

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Buckeyes are lucky Hibbert got in foul trouble.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home