Monday, April 06, 2009

I have not written much of late for three primary reasons. First, I have not had the time. Second, when I have had time to write have I enjoying contributing to the sanctifying worship blog. Third, I have been deeply affected by the explosion of divisive blogs appearing on the Nazarene blogosphere. At first, I just watched with interest as the "fundamentalists" clashed with the "emergents" -- both labels I avoid giving myself for various reasons. But then one of these Christian extremist blogs called me out by name. Let me be clear, I have not read any of these blogs that explicitly demand any kind of action by the people who hold ideas they oppose. However, there are very clear implications to their opposition -- implications that are neither a stretch nor invalidly/inaccurately implied.

To this point I have been silent, not wanting to further any rifts within the church and for fear that my hurt would manifest itself in such similar personal attacks as have been launched against me and my friends. However, I have decided that I must respond to the accusations leveled against me and my friends. Not out of anger, not out of a need to be right, not for any reason other than to further the discussion at hand and to facilitate the transformation of lives by the renewing of our minds. With this as my goal, I propose to respond not so much to the allegations made, but rather to discuss exactly why I support A CALL TO AN ANCIENT EVANGELICAL FUTURE.

The call is composed of 6 paragraphs plus a prologue and an epilogue. I will be committing to you all to include 1 blog to address each of the 8 sections of the call. I hope and pray that our Lord will be glorified by our discussion and that it might be used to bring to fulfillment Jesus' High Priestly prayer that we all might be one. I look forward to discussing with you all soon.

Holy Week Blessings,

Eric+

2 Comments:

Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Consider it a badge of honor, Eric . . . there's little recourse for this kind of slander in our world, because a true Christian loves the slanderer anyway.

These are times, I think, that demand courage in so many ways. It seems we are coming to a crossroads in evangelicalism, where we'll have to decide where our faith really rests -- with the WORD or with words -- so I pray for you the strength and power to continue to do the ministry set out for you.

J.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous J.B. Chapman said...

I am glad I could give you some material to post on. Though I am not sure I enjoyed having to tell you that we were "outed." I will be interested in your upcoming post.

Grace and Peace

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home