Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Going on to Perfection

Psalm 38 + Psalm 119.25-48
Genesis 9.18-29 + Hebrews 6.1-12 + John 3.22-36

I am always torn between "getting back to the basics" and "going on to perfection." The author to the Hebrews seems to believe they are opposed to one another. "Let us go on to perfection, leaving behind the basic teaching about Christ, and not laying again the foundation..." Skipping to the end of the passage he says that it is his hope that we would "realize the full assurance of hope to the very end, so that you may not become sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises."

It all makes me think, am I pushing ahead? Or have I become sluggish?

John the Baptist is all about pushing ahead. Even as he and Jesus are baptizing together, John is pointing to Jesus. "He must increase, I must decrease." This is, I think, the heart of holiness. Atheletes push on to get bigger and stronger and faster. Christians push on so that they can become smaller so that Christ can become bigger. Am I pushing on? Am I becoming smaller? Is he becoming bigger within and through me?

A while ago, I proposed three questions we can ask ourselves to gauge our growth:

1) Scripture: Am I asking more and harder questions about scripture and the faith?
2) Worship: Am I coming to worship with a growing sense of awe and expectancy?
3) Ministry: Am I ministering to the lost with a greater passion for grace?

I think these are good places to start if indeed we want to realize the full assurance of our hope.

Almighty God, send upon us your Holy Spirit that we may be so filled with your love and grace that there would be no room within us for anything but you. And being filled with your love and grace, may it spill forth from our lives to the glory of your name. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous networkace said...

nice blog

2:15 AM  
Anonymous http://essay-writings-service.com said...

Very nice and helpful information has been given in this articleB-)

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home