Thursday, August 31, 2006

THE REARVIEW MIRROR

This last week has been a lot of fun. I went fishing Monday morning. I went after bluegill...just for fun this time. Not for bait! I spent the morning with a board member (Chuck) and the son of a board member who has walked away from God after his grandparnets died (Chuck). Chuck (the Board Member) is a retired steel worker. Chuck (the son) is my age and unemployeed. We have a great time. We took home 26 giant bluegill. Anything we could get a hand around we threw back. It is great to be fishing again.

This week was also my first week when I have spent time calling. I met so many cool people. Bud is 89 and the oldest at the church. He doesn't get there anymore, but he is fabulous. He has a wonderful sense of humor. Mildred is a delightful lady full of stories. She just had to move out of her house into an assisted living apartment. She is also in her 80s. Between she and Bud they have almost 140 years at the church. I also met Pearl, Gerry, Mary, and Deb. They are all so wonderful. They make visiting easy. I only have to show up and they tell me stories for hours if I let them. It was so much fun.

I also had the oportunity to meet Rob and Chris Merki. They are grads of MVNC and pastor in East Liverpool. They took Antonina and I out to lunch today. They have only been there 3 years and are still struggling with many of the things that I think will be a struggle for us. I don't know if it is encouraging to know that I am not alone, or to be very affraid since they are still having those issues 3 years later.

I am looking forward to getting to Mount Vernon Friday night. I am going to fish a little in some old fishing holes and then head south for a good Buckeye Buttwhoopin! I am so greatful to be back home. Just being home makes the tough stuff worth it.

Also, I will be starting a new column called "AROUND TOWN." It will feature primarily pictures, but also a few short stories about life here in Toronto. It will hopefully be a way you all can get a taste of life here in the valley.

As always, thanks for the prayers and please keep them coming.

Love you all,

Eric

7 Comments:

Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Hey, we're only a couple of hours from Mount Vernon. Why don't you come over? I think we're going to a huge swap meet on Saturday and a Jewish food festival on Monday. You know you have an open invitation!

8:55 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

Not this weekend. We'll connect for sure. I'll give you all a call sometime this weekend while I'm driving.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you do with all those fish! Looks like your doing good. Have you ever heard of a team (Raytown South) who has a Quarterback (Terry Grimmett) who runs for 200 yards but the team still loses. That's what happenend in South's opener. The score was 58-48. Now they have to play St. Thomas Aquinas who has a Ohio State recruit and who defeated a team last week 73-0. Just thought I'd keep you updated. Did you see the OSU game? What abotu Notre Dame? I think that if they continue to play like that, they'll barely go over .500. Hear about MU? Chase Daniel threw 5 touchdowns in a 47-7 romp. Amazing for his first start. MU's going to win the National Champiopnship! Mark it down! Hope you continue todo good. I'm praying for you.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed my time with you on Saturday. Make it over again soon. You are always welcome.

Go Bucks!

3:16 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

you're welcome here too you know! Come by any time

10:35 AM  
Blogger Amy Nelson said...

I hope you and Antonina enjoy your time in the good ole Buckeye State. Is Antonina teaching?

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I do not have a job yet. I am planning on subbing for OH and WV. I cannot start until October. I applied for a Kindergarten position for WV and am waiting to hear back. I hope you like it in Atlanta! I bet it is warm. I miss the warm weather.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home