Tuesday, September 12, 2006

AROUND TOWN: the town square


Like every small town we have town square. It is just off the main drag. To the west is downtown, and to the east is "the landing." The landing is a boat ramp with a shelterhouse and a nice lawn. At the town square there are three notables. First is the Gazebo. The gazebo is the place where many town memorials are held. Yesterday was the Patriot Day celebration where I was asked to give the invocation. I don't know if I should take that as a sign of respect or that they think the new guy is the only one naive enough to do it. I was the only clergy there. The fire chief, the EMS director and the County Emergecy Response Director and our county commissioner all spoke. It was a fun time. They also have a Memorial Day service, a Veterans Day service and I think a Fourth of July celebration there. Across the street, there is a World War memorial. Don't ask me which one, I can't remember. It is a nice statue with a section of names for all the Toronto natives who were killed in battle. Just adjacent to that is the original fire station. It is no longer a fire station, but you can tell just by looking that it was.

Well that is a little glimpse of our town. I hope you all enjoyed your vist...come again real soon.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who was speaking when the picture was taken? I think it is good to be involved...great job!!

Love,
Dad and Mom

5:20 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

I was...

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to visit Circleville soon. I think your parents have forgotten what you look like :-)

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember, I am not as computer savy as you folks and I did not realize you could enlarge the pictures by clicking on them. Now I know. It wouldn't be a bad thing for you to visit Circleville!!!
:-) MOM

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the confusion...he does clean up pretty good! Somehow I expected he would be up there in a pair of cutoff camouflage pants with a t-shirt or no shirt and a fishing vest on.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Ryan he does clean up pretty good when "he" wants to. I can see why you'd expect to see him as you described, as that is his favorite dress!
Karen

7:25 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

We are planning a visit in October. I will be sure to dress appropriately.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

October? For the Pumpkin Show? Maybe you could go dressed a pumkin? Just a thought. Have a great week.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dressing like a pumpkin would be a novel idea!! Especially with this being the 100th anniversary. It might start a new trend. Or we might be able to enter you in the Pumpkin Contest, but you would probably not weigh enough to win.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is good Karen!!! Eric, we love you.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home