Monday, October 16, 2006

RIVERSIDE REFLECTIONS: old friends and family



I was reading "Dresser of Sycamore Trees" this morning. The author tells of his visits with an old gentleman in a nursing home. He was one who became a dear friend...family infact. I began thinking about my life. I've been blessed. I have not always been near to my family, but God has always given me people who became family. People like Rhonda and Norm, Evan and Julia, Raymond and Kitty.

I began to think about my friends at the Back 40...I began to think about my faith...I began to wonder if there might be a special place in heaven for Whitey and the gang where we can sit and play guitar and sing old country songs around a campfire and an old Ford.

I wish church were more like the Back 40. I was only part of the gang for a year and I experienced closer community there than I ever have in the church. I am convinced that what will draw people to Christ is the community they find in the church. We talked in Sunday School Sunday about "fellowship" in the Purpose Driven Life. The ideas of intimacy, honesty, accountability, etc. Do people find it at our churches?

Many would suggest men would not find this appealing. They wouldn't feel the labels appealing, but I know that we find the experience appealing. I know...I had old friends and family that taught me community on Hell's Half Acre.

6 Comments:

Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Allow me an intimate moment, my friend. Thank you for your friendship Eric!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Karen, this is more of the outfit that we are accustomed to! Bet you recognized him this time huh? If not, take heart...he'll be home to see you this weekend.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Ryan I did recognize Eric this time and yes the dress is more of what I am use to seeing. We are looking forward to Antonina and him coming home. If you and your family are in stop by.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric how is it going....Matt told me about the email.No I didn't leave the Church. I went to my first Varsity debate tournament. I went 2-2, and did alright, beating one girl who was undefeated up to that point in the tourney and the best debater from Hickman. I lost to two senior debaters. Hows everything going with you? I bet there is a special place for Whitey, and the gang in Heaven. Heaven will be great. Your in my prayers

P.S Sorry for not commenting.

NC
Mizzou: 35
OSU: 23 Count on it. Daniel is a stud.

7:04 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

Nick,

I didn't ask him if you left, I just asked how you were hanging in there with all your stuff. Anyway, how is MU going to get to the NC game? They have a loss and there is no way they jump all the other 0 and 1 loss teams. I do think they have a shot at the big 12 championship, but I doubt they beat Texas. Anyway, I was excited to see them do so well. I miss high school football out there. I think your freshman team last year would have trounced our varsity team. Anyway, keep up all the hard work.

Eric

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me.With Daniel, where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck w/ Michigan. Did you here that the low section seats are going for sell by scabbers for 4,000 dollars. That's ridiculus. About varsity football, Southisn't fairing real well. 2-6. Well talk to you later.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home