Monday, January 08, 2007

"my husband beat the $h!+ out of me!"


Last night after our New Year's Covenant Service I was talking with a couple of lady's. A girl, no older than Antonina, came walking up the middle isle and asked if she could use our phone. I took her to the phone. She seemed upset. I asked if she was OK and she replied, "no. I'm not OK. My husband just beat the $h!+ out of me." I talked with her for a little bit and she didn't want to talk to the police. Then one of the lady's told me that the husband was outside. When I came out of the room the phone was in. The husband was walking up the isle with their 3 kids. I made him wait outside and I called the cops. Then we talked. In the end, the kids got taken to children's services and the police took the girl so that they would have some time apart and then so she could go home and get the $h!+ beat out of her again.

Through the whole thing, she insisted on her love for him and his love for her. He wanted to be very consoling and huggy. It almost made me sick.

I began thinking about what it really means to be married. As I thought I was reminded of something I'd written comparing explaining salvation based on the metaphor of marriage. So I thought I'd post it here:


“I believe in one baptism for the remission of sins.”

This confession, found in the Nicene Creed, is part of our (Nazarene) confession of faith. Further we subscribe to Wesley’s popular definition of a sacrament as “an outward sign of an inward grace…” but we usually forget to include the second half of the definition, “…and a means of grace by which we receive the same.”

So why am I bringing all this up? Because our soteriology (theology of salvation) seems to contradict this foundational confession of faith. How do we reconcile our evangelical emphasis of salvation by faith alone, which excludes baptism as efficacious in salvation, and the creedal bconfession that our baptism is “for the remission of sins”?

The key is in Wesley’s definition: “An outward sign of an inward grace” (faith alone) and “a means of grace by which we receive the same” (baptismal regeneration). Salvation is both by faith and by sacrament. How can this be?

Dr. Rob Staples, in Outward Sign, Inward Grace, directs our thoughts to marriage. He poses the question of what makes a couple married. Is it the love and commitment they share or the ceremony and ritual in which they participate that makes them married? The answer is a real marriage requires both internal and external commitment. The couple who shares love and commitment, but has not participated in the wedding ceremony is not married. Nor is the couple who has been through the ceremony yet lacks love and commitment truly married. Therefore, it is not an either or proposition, but a both and proposition.

I would suggest that we must take the metaphor further. Marriage requires both love and ritual, as noted above, but it must also be consummated sexually. A real marital relationship is one in which the love and ritual is consummated repeatedly and regularly. If any one of these components is lacking there really is no marriage at all.

So now we must bring the metaphor home to relate it to our theology of salvation. Salvation requires relationship, ritual and consummation – love, baptism, and communion. To fail to give adequate attention to any of these components is to fail to give our salvation the serious consideration it deserves.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an extremely tough issue, Domestic Violence. That's my current debate topic. The resoultion is " Is a victim's deliberate use of deadly force a just response to repeated domestic violence." I do know what the police would even try to do in that situation. There is this legisltative evidence that clearly shows that police, prosecutors, judges, and the jury do not take it domestic abuse seriously. Women have no protection.

In other parts of the world it is a WHOLE LOT WORST. In India, men regard their wives as property, and if the dowry is not a significant amount of money, they will BURN THEIR WIVES ALIVE. It is sickening ot think of a human being that would do that.

In China, Domestic Violence is not even attempted to be deterred by police force. They believe it is a in-home problem. One women was in the hospital, trying to recover, and her husband mutilated her face with a butcher knife. He spent absoulutely no time behind bars.

It is extremely sad to know that many countries allow this to go on. They don't rpotect their people.

Anyways, I am really serious in Debate this year. My teacher is going to take me to Conference, and I may qualify for State this year. Next year Andy is going to join again and we'll dominate in Public Forum.

Anyways, everything is well here. How are things with you/

P.S Goodluck with Flordia:

My Prediction

Flordia 34
Ohio State 31

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you calling the police!!! It is now on record for the future. The police cannot or do not do anything if the abused spouse does not want to prosecute. Until someone is ready to be helped, sometimes all you can do is sit back, pray and be supportive. It is hard to get out of an abusive relationship for many reasons. I will talk with you about that sometime. I do believe if both parties want to work on issues, there is help for the situation and the marriage can be saved. If they are not both willing to work on issues, then the marriage is very likely to end in divorce or death. It is really sad that if nothing is corrected, the children learn that this is the "normal" way for husband/wife to act. You and Antonina have a great week.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to your Buckeyes? No offense but they got the you-know-what beatened out of them. Troy Smith looked like a chichen with his head cut off. Your coach made bad calls, and your defense wasn't fast enough. Laurnatis(spell check) made alot of tacles, but that was after the ballcarrier ran about 10 yards. You guys got outpalyed. I thought that the game was going to be a OSU big after Ginn's run, but nope they came right back.

But I do think Ginn would have made my 34-31 prediction right if he did not get hurt because they would have been forced ino more of a converaged sceme.
Well talk to you later.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Antonina?

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy said that. Not me. He was just joking.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idea for Sunday: read an exert from Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a Dream" speech.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

Yes, yes, and yes! It is all three. I would say that it is perhaps because we tend to separate salvation from holiness (this is still a debatable questions even in the Church of the Nazarene). And therefore, separate the grace received in faith and the grace received in the waters of baptism.

What a great illustration Rob Staples gives us, but your story brings it home. Here you have a husband (apparently I use that term loosely) who has confessed his love (faith), ceremonially conceeded union (baptism), but beats the shit out of his wife instead of consumating the profession of faith and ceremony (communion).

Really good thoughts.

2:43 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

Evan, you mention the separation of salvation and sanctification. I have lately been finding the two closer and closer together. I was reading Marva Dawn: Talking the Walk in preparation for a sermon on sanctification. She says the two are not separate at all but two sides of a coin that is perpetually spinning from one side to the other in our life. I don't have a lot of time to post original thoughts this week, but maybe I can post her reflection. It was really good..

10:17 AM  
Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

I think it is like the illustion of two faces looking at each other and in the middle a goblet or candle holder. Once you see the two images your consciousness alternates between the two. They are never the same image, but always the same image. All a part of the mystery of God.

I still have serious critiques of Marva Dawn. I know you like her, but . . . anyway.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's watch the language being used. Ok?

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home