Monday, November 26, 2007

Missional Church


I attended at a District continuing education day with one of our denominational “leaders.” The subject for the day was “Equipping People for Missional Ministry.” When I saw the title I was immediately intrigued. The missional approach to ministry resonates with my own thinking and philosophy about being the church. I was excited. Then I saw who the presenter was. Because I knew of him from my time in Kansas City, I knew a little about him: his pastoral history, his work as a DS, and now his work as a consultant. I must confess that I was a little skeptical. What I have read and thought of the missional movement had little in concept with what I have seen of his ministry.

After spending a morning talking to us about how to make people feel at home in our churches (making sure the bathrooms are clean, sending follow-up gifts for visitors, etc), he paused to take questions. My mother tried to teach me to filter the stuff that goes from my mind to my mouth before it leaves my oft-gaping pie whole, but that morning my questions burned too hot in my mind. And so I asked him:

1) Who are the writers who really articulate the “missional church” well that we should be reading?

2) How would you differentiate between “church growth” and “missional church”?

To the first question, he responded well listing several of the key authors that are writing on the subject, letting me know that he is well read enough to talk about the subject with some degree of clarity. To the second question, however, his response felt to inadequate – even missing the whole point. His response was this: Church growth was about numbers; missional church is about motive -- Church growth was about getting people in the pews. Missional church is about getting people saved.

I cringe.

I don’t think his analysis was fair to EITHER concept, so to be fair, I pondered the question myself. Here are some of my thoughts about the issue.

1) Church Growth seeks converts; Missional Church seeks disciples –

A convert is one who has “prayed the prayer,” “prayed through,” “found Jesus,” or any number of other colloquialisms describing our response to God’s offer of grace. Now that they have prayed the prayer, they are in the club. Now their job is to get more people into the club. It is almost as if once they’re in, they’re in.

A disciple is one who walks daily with Christ. Praying “the prayer” is nice, but ultimately it is meaningless if it does not become a way of life. At a recent retreat, 4 of my teens either became saved or rededicated their life to Christ. I completely affirmed them. I told them I was proud that they were sensitive to the call of Christ and that I was proud of them for responding to the call. But I also told them that whatever happened between them and God that night had to happen every day of their life. Relationships are only healthy when they are growing. A disciple is one who walks every day in a growing relationship with God through Christ.


2) Church Growth seeks salvation of souls; Missional Church seeks healing of persons –

Church Growth seems to fragment persons into component parts: soul, mind, body, finances, etc. The church exists to save the soul of sinners. Whether a person is suffering from mental illness, addiction, cancer, poverty, or any other number of issues, their real need is salvation.

Missional Church says, yes, people need salvation, but living in the kingdom of God means we have to also work with them to find healing of their mental illness, addiction, cancer, poverty, etc. By showing compassion and solidarity with the broken in all arenas, the church is being Christ and revealing God so that they might experience full salvation in all their life.


3) Church Growth emphasized sterile, contemporary worship; Missional Church emphasizes authentic, Christian worship –

What else can we say? Those who brought us church growth brought us churches that look like any other new building. They brought us so called “worship leaders” whose credentials include plenty in the arena of vocal performance and nothing in the arena of church or sacred music. They stripped all signs of our faith: art, crosses, pulpits, altars, fonts, etc., in favor of Thomas Kincaid, projector screens, Plexiglas podiums, and nothing in the realm of sacraments. It was almost as if the goal was to trick a person into becoming a Christian. I am reminded of the proverbial frog in the kettle. “Put ‘em in boiling water and they’ll jump out…put ‘em in cold water, turn up the heat slowly, and they’ll boil.” Worship quit being worship and started being cold water…never mind lukewarm.

On the other hand, Missional Church embraces passionate and authentic, Christian worship. We see a return to the arts. We see a return to some degree of informed liturgy. We see a return to sacraments and biblical preaching. People are looking for faith that is real and true and authentic. People want to follow those who are real and true and authentic. Worship once again becomes worship.


4) Church Growth aims to get the world into church; Missional Church aims to get the church into the world –

Church Growth measured “success” by how many people came to church and how many people joined a small group. The missional church measures “faithfulness” by how many needs are met, by how many people are involved in doing the work of Christ, by how many people are partnering with God, and one to another, in his divine mission. The Church Growth church is those people who are gathered. The Missional Church is those who are gathered and sent.

+++

I certainly have a limited perspective on things, so having outlined some of my thoughts, let me ask you the question I asked that day: how would you differentiate between the Church Growth and the Missional Church approaches to church?

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't begin to answer that question...yet. You know that your post here resonates with me and highlights some of the same stuggles I have with the contemporary church mindset, however, I don't know how you can say, "Praying “the prayer” is nice, but ultimately it is meaningless if it does not become a way of life." Meaningless??! Accepting the grace that He offers is PARAMOUNT in the life of the believer. We get nowhere without it. With this said, I don't think we can ever say that praying the sinner's prayer to accept the gift of grace is meaningless. I think this was said recognizing the danger in stopping here and not journeying onward toward "The signature of Jesus."

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the things you shared when you came back from Barbados as a teen. You had already begun to question. That is a good thing. Please continue to question.

I understand why Ryan would question the comment praying the prayer is meaningless but I know exactly what you are talking about. Christ came to save us, but He did not intend that we should stay there. I believe one of the dangers of the "Church Growth" idea is that with that emphasis, too many do not grow past the prayer. Sadly my church has pushed for numbers, but lacks in discipling after the prayer. As a result, we loose many of these people back to the world and they do not take God to the world. Or they stay in the church and remain infants who need to be spoon fed always. So while they are a part of the "community", they are of no service to the "community". Without servants, the "community" eventually dies.

This entry also reminded me of a comment made by John Maxwell that I believe to be true. Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care. That requires helping them heal after the prayer, as you point out. People pray the prayer because they too don't want to stay where they are, but usually need help and encouragement to make changes in their life so they can grow and then serve with the compassion they have been shown.

I could go on, but must get back to work. Maybe we will talk this weekend.

Tell Antonina hi. What a special advent season for both of you. Looking forward to your gift in February. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

Ryan, yes accepting the grace that he offers is PARAMOUNT in the life of the believer, but one cannot rest on the fact that she accepted that grace one time at an altar. She must accept that grace and choose to follow Christ every day.

A hiker decides to hike the Appalachain Trail. One cold, but sunny morning, he accepts the challenge. Backpack packed and all bundled up, he takes the first step.

That first step is full of importantance, but end the grand scheem it IS meaningless if he does not take a second, a third, a fourth, etc.

Walking the trail requires inifinte choices to take the next step. When one stops taking the next step one is not walking the trail.

Following Christ requires infinite choices to take the next step. The first one is important, but the truly meaningful one is the present step.

I feel it is vastly more important to accept the grace Christ is offering me in the present moment and to respond faitfully, than it is that I responded many years ago...or even yesterday for that matter.

The hiker can make it to the half-way point and then follow another trail. Taking the first step was vital in his formation, but staying on the trail is the important part.

I hope you did not hear me say that praying the prayer is not important, only that we would be better to understand it as Paul's unending prayer.

Hope that clears it up a little?

7:02 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

Wanda,

Yes, the hoping and waiting for the birth of God's child certainly is pregnant (pun intended) with new meaning this year.

BTW...I hear congrats are in order. I always treasured having Dan so close. I have talked with him about seeing him as a brother, not a cousin. If he is a brother, that would make our kids cousins (Which they are somehow anyway), but it will be nice to have family close in age with our baby! Congrats!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!!! I am excited and looking forward to being a Grandma as your Mom is too.

I always appreciated the the time our families were together and the relationships you, Daniel & Adam have.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Church growth teaches customer satisfaction while missional teaches Kingdom living. They can overlap at times.
kp

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric.
Looks like last Saturday will be the last time you root for Mizzou in awhile.

Hope all is well.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, you know that I follow your argument here and agree with you to a VERY large extent. My problem still lies with the absolute (dare I say almost arrogant) attitude that one must follow the missional church mindset to "arrive."

I continue to struggle with how you can say that the initial acceptance of grace is meaningless. Maybe it is our definition of "meaningless." I think at its very root it means lacking any meaning. Doesn't the Bible preach just the opposite? Sure, discipleship of believers is crucial and an area where the contemporary church falls on her face. The daily growth in the faith is part of the journey.

Your idea here (as I hear it) borderlines on a works theology. My salvation requires me to do something other than accept the gift that has been presented (which can be done at the intial "prayer" experience). My very understanding that I need his grace is a gift in itself. Obviously the life of the believer who doesn't move forward in discipleship is going to lack much fruit if it stops here. But I believe the Bible to say the acceptance of the grace is enough. I don't want to go all the way to a purely Calvanist viewpoint, but I would find myself closer to that end of the spectrum.

I have found the Nazarene church to be a bit rigid in some areas (legalistic if you will) and that the idea of grace is downplayed a bit (or a lot is some areas). My personal conviction is that we cannot begin to understand the love of Christ and the implications that has on how we perceive ourselves and the way that we view the world in which we
live. Possibly ironic, but I think you would strongly agree with me here.

Brennan Mannings says that there are some that have bee GIVEN (key word here) a radical faith. The understanding of this should be very humbling and should in no way produce an arrogant spirit. It should also not expect the same level of thought, introspection, and awareness from those that have not been given this same radical faith. The same calling is not given to all of us.

Let's go for a moment to the illustration you provided. If I begin a trip on the Appalachain Trail and only take a few steps, has my journey been meaningless?! I say, absolutely not! Have I missed something by having not journeyed further -- absolutely. What is the grand scheem anyway?

Let's use a marriage metaphor. If one enters into the marriage union, spends 40+ years with their spouse but never really works to establish a truly rich relationship (settles for mediocrity), has the marriage been meaningless? No way.

8:57 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

Thanks, I don't think we disagree nearly as much as we agree. Let me reflect a little and I'll get back to you.

11:51 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

BTW...I don't think "one must follow the missional church mindset to 'arrive.'"

I do however, believe that one must follow the gospel to experience the fullness of God's grace.

And, I do believe of all the understandings of church I have observed, the missional church model seems to most closely capture the heart of the gospel as I understand it.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your last post! The key there is "fullness." There is no way I could disagree with this statement.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

A prominent Nazarene thinker (as relayed to me by a third party relative) said that the Church Growth movement is the prostituting of the Church. I prefer to think of Church Growth as a "movement" all right!

Ryan, most people who get married end up divorced so that may be a better illustration even than hiking the Appalachian Trail. We may not all be called to have the "radical faith" that Brennan Manning is talking about. However, the Eastern Church talks about this better than the rest of us. We are all called to be transformed to the image of God. Athanasius said, "He was made man that man might be made God." We are all called to the deiformed life. The Protestant church puts an awful lot of emphasis into justification. The Estern Church, however, puts a greater emphasis on transformation. As Wesleyans, we should find solace in the balance.

I don't think Eric is being pejorative when he says that without a continuing journey "saying a prayer" is meaningless. I think he's taking a bite out of Scripture. Revelation 3:16 sounds as though the Risen Lord has something to say about those who believe justification is a singular event. Something about vomit, I don't know, I'm not really a (very good) Protestant so you'll have to read it for yourself.

If we look at this as a marriage and all I did was say some trite vows (by the way, in the Church of the Nazarene you can just write your own) then ignored my responsibility to my wife, I may still be married for a moment, but my wife would file for an annulment within a week. So, yes, Eric is right in this part of it.

2:09 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

I hope I can do this briefly. I have thought about your comments. I appreciate the dialogue, and your sincerity. I really can’t disagree with your comments, but I want to address a couple issues to clarify where I think we might be in agreement, but just articulating differently.

As I am preparing for Sunday, the Gospel reading is Matt 3.1-12. It is the passage that introduces John, the voice crying out in the wilderness, ‘prepare the way for the Lord.’ I found vv 8-9 particularly helpful in light of our conversation. “Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, ‘we’re safe, for we are descendents of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones.”

I understand your uneasiness with my perceived “works-righteousness” because I have the same uneasiness with the apparent Calvinistic leanings of much of our tradition that elevates the initial experience. Is it enough that we get saved and then rest on that saying, “I was saved”? I honestly don’t know. There is only one who gets to decide what is enough, and I am not the one (thankfully!!!).

What I do know is that as a minister, it is not my job “to get people saved,” it is my job to help them experience the fullness of God’s grace. Part of experiencing the fullness of God is the “conversion experience” (yet how many of us don’t really have one…that’s another issue all together). Another part is helping people to go on to holiness, another experience we call Entire Sanctification. Both are life changing, but in neither case can one rest on their experience. One must prove by the way one lives that she has repented and turned to God. The holy life contains some certain experiences but mostly it is in daily living.

Before I get accused of more works righteousness, let me state unequivocally that salvation is by God’s grace alone. Our only hope is in the grace of God made available in Christ Jesus our Lord. We must respond to the outpouring of God’s grace. That response we call faith. I believe faith to be a work. It is the culmination of God’s grace and my belief that demands a proper response. Sometimes that response is kneeling to confess sin. Sometimes that response is standing to proclaim the risen Christ. Sometimes that response is keeping my cool when I get cut off in traffic. Sometimes that response is paying a neighbors electric bill to keep her heat on in the winter. Faith is our response to God’s grace. Always, that response is with a concrete act or work. Sometimes it is internal, sometimes it is external, but faith is always a concrete response to the lavish grace of God.

So let us not just say to each other, ‘we’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. Let us rather prove by the way we live that we have repented of our sins and turned to God.

2:11 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

just for clarity, I view "works righteousness" as some kind of divine tally where more good works outweighs fewer bad ones and thus I get eternal life. That, as a wise woman taught me, is HOGWASH!

2:14 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

I was talking about this with a friend today and he gave me this analogy (or metaphor...I can never keep them straight. One uses like or as, the other is a straight equasion...help?). It may be more clear than any of my ramblings.

Take a deep breath and hold it.

Now, exhale deeply and hold it.

What happens when you only inhale or exhale? You die.

As Christians, we must inhale - receive the lavish grace of God - AND exhale - respond obediently to the grace of God.

The holy life is breathing. It is recieving and responding. Whenever we try to receive only, we suffocate. Whenever we try to respond only, we suffocate. Holiness requires reception and response, grace and faith.

Hope this metaphor (or analogy) helps.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Evan and Julia Abla said...

That was a fantastic explanation, Eric. Now say the breath thing, that was cool too!

2:53 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

http://www.nazarene.org/ministries/administration/centennial/core/missional/display.aspx

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home