Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Shack...by Wm. P. Young



I know I haven't done a great job with posting new thoughts or with updating my book list, so I want to do both now and mention one of the better theological novels I've ever read. It is "The Shack" by William P. Young, and I found it to be excellent fictional story and excellent theological conversation.

We have all wrestled with many of the theological mysteries: love & evil, trinity & unity, Christ as human and divine, and on and on. Young provides much to consider as we meet Mack. Mack has a very complicated history, including seminary and ministry. None of that will help him as he is confronted by "The Great Sorrow." As tragedy enters Mack's life he strugles to find answers. He found more than he could have ever imagined on his visit to the shack. In his visit he encounters such characters as Papa, a large southern black woman, Sarayu, a very hippie-ish young lady, Jesus, just a good old boy, and Sophie a gracious judge.

Along the way, you will find yourself struggling along-side Mack, and as his life is transformed you just might find yourself changed too. I highly recommend this book to people of all ages. It is less than 250 pages and reads as easily as a novel, yet provokes thought as deep as the reader is willing to plunge. So jump on in, and meet Mack at The Shack.

http://www.theshackbook.com/index.html

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you were able to enter a new posting. I'll have to see if I can find the book.

I guess since it has been so long since you made an entry I expected a little more on a personal level. Oh well once again my expectations are not always what they ought to be.

Hope you are having a good week

Love Mom

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My assumption is that by reading the book you might see this message on a much "more personal level." Or by looking at the list of books he is reading currently.

9:02 AM  
Blogger EF + said...

there I updated my book list

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Ryan for your help. It always helps to have input from someone else!

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the intro and 1st chapter of the starfish book online and will read the rest whenever I get my hands on it. Fasinating stuff, it makes you just dream dreams for for the church. Was Gibbs the one who told us about it?
I've been reading "emerging churches" as well. The conversations in there are fascinating me as well. I'm starting to get more and more emboldened to take our church down some new paths. Don't exactly know which paths yet, but were getting the courage to take the paths once we find them.
peace,
kevin

12:03 PM  
Blogger EF + said...

Yeah...Gibbs talked about both. S&S is fascinating. EC seems more technical, but very interesting none the less.

So of us read this stuff and are in heaven. I wonder how others read it? I think of churches I've been a part of: Circleville 1st, Mt Vernon 1st, St Paul...

I often wonder what their pastors think when they read this stuff. It is so different from everything they have built.

Anyway, maybe I'll ask them!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the Shack. The language of santification was truly subtle but vivid. Loved the trinitarian imagination.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read "A walk in the Woods" again this past week. I haven't read that since you gave it to me when we used to live together. What a great book. Maybe when our kids get older we could go take them and walk a week's worth of the AT together.
kevin p

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home