Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Year's Resolution

Perhaps it is a bit cliché, but after much thought, I think my New Year’s Resolution is… drum-roll please… HEALTH. I feel like my time in pastoral ministry has been marred by unhealthy living. Noticing the looks of the pastors around me, I am not alone! However, I want to improve my health in a variety of areas this year. Here are some of them.

1) The obvious one is physical health. I have always been an active person. I have always been involved with sports. I like to think I have stayed in decent shape. In High School, sports. In college, intramurals. At seminary, just being a youth pastor tends to keep you active. But being a pastor, a year and a half of lunch meetings, desk sitting, and lots of stress have left me feeling lazy and out of shape. I hate running. I have not found any rec leagues I can join. I think I am going to try and dust off my bike. I am going to try and ride 5 days a week. Outside if the weather permits, and maybe I’ll find a cheap stationary I can ride when its miserable outside.



2) The next noticeable is my mental health. I feel like I am getting dumb. I don’t feel like I read or write nearly as much as I’d like (sermons don’t count!). So, I have a plan. This is going to be the year of Wesley. I am going to try to read one sermon, letter or journal entry per week. I am also going to try and read about Wesley in book and in my WTS journals. Additionally, I am going to write. I am going to write a brief article each week about something the church celebrates each week. Perhaps an event (like the incarnation, the epiphany, the resurrection, etc) or perhaps a person (like an apostle, a saint, or any other significant hero of the faith). You can watch for those here or at torontoinfocus.com/religion. Finally, I am going to assign myself a writing project. I am going to try and write a scholarly article about the influence of the liturgy of the Church of England on the shaping of Wesley’s doctrine of Christian Perfection. I don’t know what I’ll find, but it will be fun… I think.

By the way, did you know that to be in one of Wesley’s small groups you must agree to three things: (1) always do good; (2) never do bad; (3) regularly attend the means of grace!




3) I want to get spiritually fit. I miss midweek Eucharist at St. Peter’s Episcopal on Red Bridge Road. But there are no midweek Eucharists here. So, my goal for spiritual health is (1) find a spiritual director; (2) find an accountability partner; (3) pray Morning Prayer from the Daily Office of the Book of Common Prayer each morning when I first get to the office and then pray Evening Prayer when I last leave the office.

Health is an important thing, but man is it exhausting just thinking about getting back in shape!

Merry Christmas,

EF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home